//
archives

Archive for

LDWF kids day Saturday on the river

If you want to take an opportunity to take a kid fishing, it doesn’t get much better than this! The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries will host a Family Fish Fest in Monroe on Saturday, May 17 in conjunction with the Ronald McDonald House of Northeast Louisiana Kid’s Fishing Tournament.  The event will be … Continue reading

Wind, rain and … “warm”?

The wind finally died down for a short while Wednesday. Then the temperatures dropped — again — and the rains came. then it cleared up and the winds howled from the north. Even the fish can’t give you a good fishing report. I tried to call Al Gore, the world’s foremost scientist on Global Warming, … Continue reading

The good life at Eagle Point

I’ve been blessed with many memorable days in my life. One of them centers on a little one-acre piece of hillside on the edge of Lake D’Arbonne in a development called Eagle Point. It started   to take shape as I was fishing out on the lake and seeing the preliminary work being done on the … Continue reading

McBig McBass for a McGood cause

Saturday and Sunday are the biggest days of the year for competitive bass fishing in north Louisiana/south Arkansas. It’s the annual Ronald McDonald’s Big Bass Tournament on the Ouachita River. It’s a bunch of McFishermen chasing McBig McBass for a McGood cause. If you haven’t already signed up and you love to bass fish, you … Continue reading

A house at the lake

I saw this about life on the lake and just couldn’t help but pass it along. Plus, it’s been a busy Mother’s Day weekend and the wind’s been blowing too hard to fish. Some of my friends (according to George) would be blessed by a shorter “blog” every once in a while. So, enjoy:

A special day for special people

When my dad and I used to go fishing, there was one thing we hardly ever left behind: Mom She did more than just go fishing with us. She packed our lunch. She made sure we had plenty of bait (it was better to have 50 crickets left than run short when they were biting. … Continue reading

Wind, rain and fish

Here’s the fishing report for the next few days: Any questions? Okay, so when there is a 40% chance of rain, there’s a 60% chance it is not going to rain, plus or minus a 20% chance that the weatherman missed it by about 20%.  But here’s the deal. Don’t let a bad weather report … Continue reading

Pirates on D’Arbonne; Kids fishing day!

Ahoy, Matey — there’s Pirates on the D’Arbonne.  Or at least there will be. But they don’t have very big boats and from reading their plans, they seem to be harmless. You don’t have to bury the family treasure. They are the Bayou Pirates Northeast Louisiana Fishing Club and they’ll be coming to a stream … Continue reading

Mayhaw Festival time!

There’s nothing more fun than a community that gets together to celebrate one of the bounties of nature provided in the area, and this weekend’s 33rd annual Mayhaw Festival in Marion this Friday and Saturday, May 9-10 is one of those times. And you are invited to join the fun! The festivities celebrate the mayhaw, … Continue reading

Keeping up with the Krappie King

Krappie King Karl Kalonka made quite an impression when he came to town to film some of the great crappie fishing here on Lake D’Arbonne a few weeks back. Since the new show, “Krappie Kings” has started airing on the Sportsman Channel and World Fishing Network, I’ve been taping the shows and watching them. Karl … Continue reading

SIMMONS’ SPORTING GOODS

Bastrop – Morehouse Chamber of Commerce

Dusty Gates, Union Parish Sheriff

PREAUS MOTORS

THE CITY OF FARMERVILLE

BnM Fishing

Road Runner Lures