I’m going to pass this on without comment, except to say that it’s about time Lake D’Arbonne authorities garnered some revenue from the users of the lake that will be dedicated to maintaining and improving facilities, especially boat launches and piers. And second, I hope the commissioners have the courage to listen to the public, but weed out the bad ideas and use the good ones and move forward with this plan.
The notice below was posted on the Bayou D’Arbonne Lake Watershed District Facebook page earlier today. That, by the way, is the official name of what everyone refers to as “the lake commission.” We will add more of our two cents worth in the future lakedarbonnelife.com post. Stay tuned.
For now, I’ll run it just as they presented it.
Launch Fee Overview:
In order to maintain and improve D’Arbonne Lake and its facilities, the Bayou D’Arbonne Lake Watershed District plans to begin the collection of launch fees at all of the ramps on Lake D’Arbonne in the near future. An overview is as follows:
• The Lake Commission receives limited funding which restricts the ability of the Commission to maintain and improve D’Arbonne Lake and its facilities.
• The Commission has considered additional sources of revenue to enhance funding for the benefit of the Lake and has concluded that the implementation of a launch fee at the various ramps owned by the Commission would be beneficial for such purpose.
• Launch fees are utilized at other area lakes for maintenance purposes.
• The launch fees will generate a sustainable source of revenue to provide maintenance and upgrades to launch facilities and other facility enhancements in and around the Lake.
• The launch fee will apply to all persons launching a boat or other watercraft at a launch ramp owned by the Commission on the Lake.
• Persons launching a boat shall pay the daily launch fee at the ramp or obtain and display a valid annual launch permit.
• Daily launch fee – $5.00 paid at ramp in payment box
• Annual Permit – $50.00 (July 1 – June 30)
• Annual Permit for senior citizens (65 and older) and veterans – $25.00• Annual Permits can be purchased from area vendors
• Permit for owners of property which pay electric or gas franchise fee will be issued at no cost / Must be picked up at the Union Parish Chamber of Commerce Office
Use of Fees Collected
• All funds collected from daily fees and permit sales will be used for boat launch maintenance and other improvements or activities to enhance Lake D’Arbonne.
The Board of Commissioners of the District is planning to adopt an ordinance implementing the boat launch fees at its July or August 2021 meeting.All Commission meetings are held at 6:30 p.m. on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at the Union Parish Police Jury Annex and participation from the public is encouraged.