Congratulations to Jerry Antley of Downsville, who will be inducted into the Legends of the Outdoors National Hall of Fame in Nashville this month. This is a big deal and a big turkey feather in Jerry’s cap, as well as our whole outdoor world here in Lake D’Arbonne Country. Congratulations, Jerry and Cedar Hill Game Calls!
This year’s event will once again be held aboard the General Jackson Showboat/Music City Queen in Nashville, TN on Saturday, August 26th dockside along the Cumberland River. Boarding begins at 9:00am and will be followed by the banquet and induction/award ceremony at 10:00am.
The 2017 “Legends of the Outdoors” Inductees are as follows: Dave Precht– outdoor writer and editor of Bassmaster Magazine; Morris Sheehan – President, American Bass Anglers, Inc.; Lisa Snuggs – SEOPA Executive Director, & OJEFA CEO; Walter Parrott – champion turkey caller & hunter; Guy Eaker Sr – professional angler; Jerry Antley – founder of Cedar Hill game calls; Bob Foulkrod – renowned sportsman, writer and television personality; and Steve Price – outdoor writer and photographer.
If you don’t know Jerry, here’s a quick look at his biography:
• Started hunting in 1963; killed first deer, and 8 point buck, in 1964.
• Has harvested 103 deer with bow and gun; 26 of which have been trophy bucks
TURKEY HUNTING HISTORY:
• Started Turkey hunting in 1972.
• Has taken 92 turkeys; all except 11 have been long-bearded gobblers.
• I harvested my last Jake in 1989.
• Joined the National Wild Turkey Federation in 1977.
• A charter member and has served as president of the North Central LA NWTF Chapter.
• Became State Chapter President in 1980.
• Served two years as President and two years as Vice President.
• Was elected to the National Board of Directors for the NWTF in 1984.
• Served 6 years on the National Board of Directors for the NWTF.
• In 1991, elected to the LA State NWTF Board of Directors.
Served for 12 years on the LA State NWTF Board of Directors.
• A Charter member of his local Chapter, the Union Long Spurs, and served as President for the first three years. Currently on the Board of Directors, and serve on the Banquet Committee.
• Has been a volunteer for NWTF for 37 consecutive years.
• Has attended every NWTF convention except two since 1981, (31 out of 33 years).
• Is a Silver Life Member of NWTF
• Was the Runner-Up in the 1983 La. State Turkey Calling Championship.
• Was the “Grand Champion” in the 1984 La. State Turkey Calling Championship.
• Has served as a Judge in the Grand National Calling Contest for NWTF the past 20 years.
• Led the La. State Chapter to become the first to have a stamp print program.
• A member of the NRA since 1968
• A member of Ducks Unlimited since 1990.
• A member of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation since 1994.
• Still actively participates in hunting deer, turkey, ducks, doves, and squirrels
• Owner of Cedar Hill Game Calls, LLC, having started the company in 1981.
• First call was the Legendary “Little Scratch Box”, the call that the Scratch Box category of box calls was named for. They have sold over 50,000 of these calls, all of which are hand-made.
• Owns CamoCord, LLC, a company purchased from Bill Harold, Knoxville, TN. in 2003.
• Both Companies have generated $600,000.00 annually in gross sales.
• A Southern Baptist by faith, has been a Deacon at Mt. Ararat Baptist Church, Downsville, La. Since 1978.
• Has served as Chairman of the Deacon Board for the past 20 years.