Huey Long, the “Kingfish”, wouldn’t like it. The former Louisiana Governor and U.S. Senator was best known for his Share the Wealth Program under the Motto “Every Man A King” (Boy, he would feel back at home in Louisiana these days). Thus, he became the “Kingfish”. Sorry, Kingfish. Move over. Come April 2, 2016, there will only be one King on Lake D’Arbonne (well, two actually). And they’ll earn it, the old fashioned way.
It’s the second annual King of Kings fishing tournament on Lake D’Arbonne, where the fisherman (or fisherwoman) who catches the largest bass and the largest crappie will be crowned King for the year.
It’s a single pole tournament, which means you can’t spider rig or even hold a pole in each hand. One line in the water at a time.
Besides the crown, the winners will get $750 dollars each (up from $500 last year) with a total of $2,000 in prizes. The second place winners this year also get $250. Weigh-in will be at D’Arbonne Pointe. Hurry up and win before all the new taxes in Louisiana go into effect!
What’s unique about this event is you can fish from the boat, the dock, the bank or wade out in the lake if you want. You can find out more information from sponsor Union Parish Chamber of Commerce or the host Bayou State Crappie Association.
There’s another unique thing about this tournament as well. Local fishermen are being asked to volunteer to take wounded veterans out for the day as part of the Louisiana Hunters for Heroes event. Its simple host a Veteran, visit, fish and have fun! For more information about this part of the tournament, contact Brandon Jennings @ 318-533-9259 or Donnie Vocker @ 318-278-2909. We’ll be fixing jambalaya for the group on Friday night, with groceries donated by Terry Morris and Big Star of Farmerville. SEE THE BOTTOM OF THIS WRITEUP for all the tournament rules.
OK, Here’s the Cleanup Part — you knew it was coming…
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
King of Kings April 2nd 2016 Lake D’Arbonne Rules:
Fishing will Begin at Safe Daylight and End at 2PM, With Official Weigh-In Beginning at 2:30 PM. You must be checked into weigh-in registration line by 2:30 pm. Keep your FISH ALIVE! Early weigh-in options will be discussed and information will be posted when that decision is reached. Watch for updates prior to the event. GOOD LUCK and Keep it FUN!
1) This is a Live Fish Only Weigh-In (Fish must be Live at Registration Point for Weigh-In), fish passing this check point will be considered Live from that point forth.
2) Entry Fee for Ticket Voucher will be $25.00 per Individual. Tickets will be available soon at several local retailers or by contacting the Union Parish Chamber of Commerce. (318) 914-3947
3) This is a SINGLE POLE EVENT, which means No More than One (1) Pole or (1) Rod can be used at any time during this event by an individual. Multiple Jigs or Multiple Live Bait presentations on a single pole will be allowed with no restrictions.
4) This is a Lake D’Arbonne ONLY Event and all Crappie caught and Considered for Weigh-In must be caught on Lake D’Arbonne.
5) Contestants must follow ALL Louisiana Game and Fish Laws, as designated by the Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries. Sportsman Like Conduct shall be expected from all Contestants. Please Respect other non-event individuals that will be sharing the waterways during this event. Any Violations will be grounds for Disqualification from the event!
6) We ENCOURAGE the RELEASE of all Live Fish back into Lake D’Arbonne, however the Contestant will retain complete ownership of the fish at all times.