Today in Shreveport, 10 professional fishermen* are fishing for a $500,000 first prize. But before they could do that, they had to be at the top of a 46-man field at the end of three days. Before that, they fished all year in tournaments against thousands of others to even make it here. It’s an uphill battle. A fight against the odds. But they made the cut!
Thankfully, God doesn’t just take the Top Ten. He doesn’t require us “make the cut” by besting everyone else in a competition to see who deserves it. Here’s the personal decision he asks a person to make:
I acknowledge I am a sinner in need of a Savior – this is to repent or turn away from sin; I believe in my heart that God raised Jesus from the dead – this is to trust that Jesus paid the full penalty for my sins; I confess Jesus as my Lord and my God – this is to surrender control of my life to Jesus; and I receive Jesus as my Savior forever – this is to accept that God has done for me and in me what He promised.
John 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
* And as for those fishermen that made the cut… These guys will be fishing today to win the FLW CUP:
Name……………………Hometown……………Pounds (# of fish)
1. BRYAN THRIFT SHELBY NC 39-6 (15)
2. RANDALL THARP PORT SAINT JOE FL 39-2 (15)
3. LARRY NIXON BEE BRANCH AR 35-14 (15)
4. JACOB WHEELER INDIANAPOLIS IN 34-15 (15)
5. MARK ROSE WEST MEMPHIS AR 34-6 (15)
6. ROBBIE DODSON HARRISON AR 33-5 (15)
7. KERRY MILNER BONO AR 32-13 (15)
8. TROY MORROW EASTANOLLEE GA 32-7 (15)
9. TOM MONSOOR LA CROSSE WI 32-4 (15)
10. MICHAEL NEAL DAYTON TN 32-4 (15)
The winner will be determined at today’s 5 p.m. weigh-in at the CenturyLink Center in Shreveport. We will report on that Monday.